Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Shift Your Gears For The Shift

, | Working | May 16, 2014

(I’m 17. I live in the suburbs and work in the city during my summer holiday from school. This particular day however, is my day off. I get wakened by my scary manager calling.)

Manager: *quite angrily* “Where are you? You were supposed to be here 15 minutes ago!”

Me: “But I’m not supposed to be working today.”

Manager: “Yes, you are!”

Me: “Well, no. I’m sure I checked and—”

Manager: “You are working today. You have to come in. We need you.”

Me: “Okay. I’m so sorry. I was sure I checked the schedule. I can’t believe I missed it. It will take me and hour to get into the city though, but I’ll hurry.”

Manager: “What? An hour? We can’t wait that long, you’ll have to take a taxi.”

Me: “I can’t afford that! I have to take the train, but I will get there as soon as I can.”

(One hour later I run into the restaurant and up to my manager.)

Me: “I’m so sorry. I don’t know how I—”

Manager: “Well, turns out you were right. You’re not supposed to work today. But since you’re here, could you stay for a few hours? We really need you and you can eat for free.”

(I stayed. I’m way too nice.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!