Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

She’s A Bad Penny

| Right | December 13, 2012

(I work in a department store with a food hall. Company policy is to charge 5p for carrier bags in the food hall, and has been for several years. A woman walks up to the till with a few items and a backpack on.)

Me: “Hello, do you need a bag?”

Woman: *not paying much attention* “Yeah.”

Me: “Is a 5p bag okay?”

Woman: “Yeah.”

(I charge her for the bag and scan/pack her shopping.)

Me: “That’s [price], including the 5p bag charge.”

(She pays for her shopping using her credit card, then stops just as she is about to leave.)

Woman: “Was I charged for this bag?”

Me: “Yes, it cost 5p.”

Woman: “Well, I don’t want it then!”

(She tips her shopping out of the bag, back onto the counter, and then starts putting it in her backpack.)

Woman: “I want a refund!”

Me: “I’m sorry, I’ve closed the till, and only a manager can open it. I’ll just call one over for you.”

(I call a manager, but they’re all busy with other customers.)

Woman: “Hurry up! I want my money!”

Me: “I’m sorry to keep you waiting.”

(A little old lady, waiting in the queue, gets fed up and takes 5p out of her purse.)

Little Old Lady: “Here you go, dear. Now off you trot!”

(The woman takes the 5p and leaves.)

Me: *to the little old lady* “Thank you so much!”

Little Old Lady: *smiles* “I don’t see why people like you and I have to put up with people like her!”


Did you find this story using our Lucky Penny roundup?

Click here to get back to it!

Click here to see the first story!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!