Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Shedding Away Any Extras

, , , , | Right | February 5, 2019

(When I get to work, my manager is checking in a German Shepherd Dog. It is newly spring, and all of the double-coated dogs are shedding. Because of this, we are trying to talk all the dog owners into getting the de-shed package, which is a product we all use on our own double-coated dogs. We highly recommend it, as it is a great product and well worth the money. My manager is attempting to explain this to the owner of the GSD, who is very belligerent and just starts saying over and over that she was quoted a certain dollar amount and will not pay more than that. Her hands are tied, so my manager proceeds to sign the dog up for a basic bath and nail trim. My coworker is assigned the dog, and this takes place after the owner has returned for the dog, paid for it, and walked out with it.)

Owner: “I have a complaint to make!”

Me: “Oh? What’s going on?”

Owner: “My dog was just in here, and she’s scratched me up all over my leg!”

(She lifts her leg up to show scratches down it.)

Me: “Did you get the nail grinding?”

Owner: “No, and that’s the other thing: I don’t know what all this stuff is, but she never got any of it! I was told that she’d have a de-shedding treatment, and that her nails would be ground down, and that she would look so good, and no one has delivered on any of these promises!”

(I now recognize her as the “I’m only going to pay X amount!” lady, and the light dawns.)

Me: “Oh… right. Yeah. Well, you didn’t ask for the de-shedding package. You said you weren’t going to pay more than [price].”

(My coworker who worked on the dog has now migrated to the check-in area of the salon.)

Coworker: “Yeah, we offer those things, but you have—“

Owner: “I know it’s extra! I said I wouldn’t pay extra, but that lady told me that she’s not supposed to shed now!”

Coworker: “I’m sorry you’re not happy, but—“

Owner: “No, I’m not happy! I was promised the moon and I got nothing!”

Me: “Ma’am, you were offered [de-shedding package] at check-in, and declined to pay for it. We aren’t—“

Owner: “I’ve never heard that word until just now! I wasn’t offered anything!”

Me: “You declined to pay extra.”

Owner: “Well! I’m not going to pay more than I was quoted.”

Me: “Okay. There’s nothing we can do for you, then.”

Coworker: “I hope you have better luck elsewhere.”

Owner: “I already have! Yes! I have! I just came here because I thought you might have more experience!”

Coworker: “I have six years of experience, but I’m not doing a service that I’m not getting paid for. Good night.”

(We’ve always been really careful about letting people know on the phone that a quote is just a ballpark figure and that we will assess the dog’s coat and overall health and behavior and that the price could go up or down, but now we’re even more cautious and repeat it over and over!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!