Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

She Doesn’t Speak A**hole

, , , , , | Right | June 8, 2022

It is a well-known fact that in Germany, English is taught as a second language in schools, and your average person will know some amount of English to hold a reasonable conversation. In fact, it’s quite near expected for people (especially in larger cities) to speak more than one language. However, there are many immigrants from other countries who can speak their mother language and German as a second language but do not speak any amount of English at all.

This incident occurs in a fast food restaurant where I am working. A military member from a nearby Army post comes in and begins speaking to the cashier, who is from Serbia and does not speak a drop of English.

Me: *Walking up* “She doesn’t speak English. I can help you—”

Customer: “Was I talking to you? She’s a big girl; she doesn’t need a translating babysitter! Let her handle it on her own!”

I put my hands up in an “I warned you”/”Not my problem” expression and walk back to my register.

He begins giving his order with the poor cashier staring quizzically back at him and entering products she only understands by the brand name. She finalizes the order, and as my coworkers are putting it together, I already know where this one is going.

No surprise, five minutes after receiving his food, he’s back at the register again.

Customer: “Excuse me. I asked for [item]. This is a [slightly different item], and my wife can’t eat this because of allergies. You also put ketchup on this one after I told you no ketchup… Hello, are you listening to me?”

Cashier: *Blank stare*

Me: “She… doesn’t… speak… English.”

The customer glares at the cashier and then walks over to me while grumbling insults under his breath.

Customer: “Maybe you oughta hire people who can, as opposed to people who are just too lazy and unmotivated to make the effort to learn. There are people like tourists who come to this country, you know, and top-notch service is mandatory.”

Me: “And there are people from less advantaged countries who come to this country for a better life. If she can learn the official local language and contribute as a working taxpayer, then I think it’s good enough. What’s wrong with your order?”

The man explained what he wanted in an icy cold manner, and I went ahead and corrected his order. It was just a shame I wasn’t a manager because I would have booted him out without a refund and banned him!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!