Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Shattered Glass And A Shattered Lie

, , , | Right | December 30, 2017

(I work at a fast food restaurant. We have had to close our play area for a few days because a customer opened a door too hard and shattered one of the glass walls. Most customers have been understanding, even though many of their children are disappointed. I see a woman walk up to the signs on the door explaining why it is closed, then turn and storm up to my register. I mentally prepare myself for a tirade.)

Customer: “How can you close the play area on a weekend?!”

Me: “I’m very sorry about that. We had a bit of an incident with one of the walls getting broken a couple days ago. It’ll be open again first thing Monday morning.”

(It’s Saturday at this point, so Monday isn’t far off.)

Customer: “I hope you’re happy with yourself. You see my daughter over there?” *she points to a little girl cheerfully playing with a doll at a nearby table* “It’s her birthday, and all she wanted was to come play here. She’s so upset; you ruined her birthday!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but there’s not anything I can do to reopen it. Maybe she’d be okay with coming back next week?”

Customer: “NO! YOU RUINED HER BIRTHDAY!” *storms off and disappears into the bathroom*

(I feel a little bad, even though the girl doesn’t seem upset at all, so I grab a cookie from the kitchen and approach her table.)

Me: “Hi! I’m really sorry you couldn’t play here today; your mom told me you wanted to for your birthday.” *I set the cookie in front of her* “Hopefully, this will help make up for it!”

Girl: *confused but excited by the appearance of the cookie* “It’s not my birthday; my birthday’s in March. But, okay! Thanks!”

(I chuckled to myself; it was the middle of August. I wasn’t overly annoyed by the customer lying for sympathy, since the girl seemed delighted by the treat, but a couple of minutes later I looked over and saw the mom happily chowing down on the cookie. NOW the girl looked upset.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!