Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Shaming Special On The Pre-Wedding Aisle, Part 2

| Right | March 29, 2013

(I’m taking care of my younger sister, who is 10. We’re having a movie night, and are grabbing some snacks at a nearby store. I am 19 and female.)

Me: “Okay, pick out what you want.”

Sister: “Can I have whatever I want?”

Me: “Of course! You can pick out anything.”

(Another customer notices my sister picking out some candy.)

Customer: “Humph! You should be ashamed of yourself.”

Me: “Excuse me, ma’am?”

Customer: “Having a child at your age. It’s disgraceful. And now you’re wasting your welfare money on junk food. It’s your fault the economy is so terrible.”

Me: “I’m afraid you’re mistaken. She’s not my daughter, she’s my sister. I’m babysitting for the night.”

Customer: “That’s just the lie you tell people so you don’t get strange looks. I’ll bet your kid’s spoiled rotten.”

Me: “Actually, she is my sister. This is our night to have fun together. And I’m not on welfare. I actually work part time, and have a large scholarship for the university I attend. My sister isn’t spoiled. She’s very sweet and very smart.”

Customer: “You’d like to think that wouldn’t you?”

(My little sister interjects by talking to me.)

Sister: “How old are you?”

Me: “I’m 19.”

Sister: “And I’m 10. If I was your baby, you’d be a mom at nine, right?”

Me: “That’s right.”

Sister: “She can’t be my mom. She’s not old enough. Maybe you should get new glasses.”

(The other customer sputters for a moment, then walks away.)

Me: “I think we should get some ice cream too.”


This story is part of our Junk Food Day roundup!

Read the next Junk Food Day story!

Read the Junk Food Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!