Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Service Has Room For Improvement

| Working | November 12, 2015

(I stop by a coffee shop I frequent and notice a new barista is working today. The lady in front of me is ordering a drink with very specific instructions. I don’t hear everything, but I do catch “exactly 116 degrees” and “steamed for x amount of seconds.” Keep in mind, this is a massive coffee chain with shops around the globe, not some independent artisan coffeehouse. The barista writes all this down without complaint and hands it to a coworker to prepare. It’s now my turn to order.)

Me: “Hi, can I get a medium dark roast with room.”

Barista: “…Room?”

Me: “Yeah, as in room for cream.”

Barista: “Uh…” *shakes her head* “Okay… I’m sorry, you want to add cream to this?”

Me: “Yes.”

Barista: “Uh…” *shakes her head again* “Okay…”

Me: “I’m sorry, but is there a problem?”

Barista: “It’s just weird.”

Me: “To put cream in black coffee?”

Barista: *peeved* “It’s just plain weird. But, whatever.”

(The barista prepared my drink. When it was done, instead of calling my name like the employees usually do, she just kinda plopped it on the counter. I put cream in my coffee and left. Luckily, I’ve been able to return to this same store without her being there.)


This story is part of the Coffee Shop roundup!

Read the next Coffee Shop roundup story!

Read the Coffee Shop roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!