Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Their Sense Of Compassion Is Disabled

, , , | Friendly | August 27, 2017

(I take the train to work each day, because I don’t drive, due to a non-obvious disability. I board at my usual stop and a couple, headed for the airport judging by their luggage, gets in the same car as me. There is only one set of seats for disabled people not currently in use, but most of the rest of the car is unoccupied. The disabled seats are clearly marked with signs at seating eye level. Between themselves and their luggage, the couple proceeds to take up the entire space, leaving no space for me to sit down. The following interaction ensues between me and the husband.)

Me: “Excuse me. I’m disabled and need to sit down, please.”

Man: “What?”

Me: “I said excuse me. I’m disabled and need to sit down, please.”

(After a couple minutes’ staring contest they move with considerable petulance and ill-grace.)

Man: “Well, EXCUSE ME for wanting to sit next to my WIFE!”

Me: “I’m terribly sorry that my disability is proving so inconvenient for you, sir.”

Man: “Well, how was I to know those seats are for disabled people?”

Me: “I’m no expert on such matters but I would suspect the signs—” *I point to one* “—might be just a bit of a clue.”


This story is part of our Invisible Disability roundup!

Read the next Invisible Disability roundup story!

Read the Invisible Disability roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!