Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Self(ish) Checkout

| Right | February 18, 2015

(I am picking up my friend at the end of her shift. We both work at this retail store but I am off on this particular day. She is running self checkout which starts to close down at 10:00 pm. It is 10:30 pm and customers are finally understanding that self checkout is closed except for those who are slowly finishing their ring up process. A couple walk up to my friend after passing under the ropes that were put at the entrance of self checkout to block out customers.)

Guy: “Hey, we’ve only got, like, three items. Can we use this?”

Friend: “No, I’m sorry; self check-out closes at 10. These people are just finishing up.”

Guy: *getting agitated* “It’s just three d*** items. The lines are too long so we came here.”

(At this point the manager comes over to see why it is my friend is still here.)

Manager: “[Friend], didn’t your shift end at 10?”

Friend: “Yeah…”

Guy: “Your cashier has been rude as h***! I just have three d*** items and I want to use self checkout!”

Manager: “Fine, whatever. Just do it and don’t keep cursing. Self checkout closes at 10 pm every night.”

(The couple then proceed to begin checking out slowly.  It’s then 10:45 and they ring up alcohol so my friend goes over to check ID.)

Woman: “Why in the h*** you gotta be so rude?!”

(At this point I am beyond annoyed and my patience goes out the door.)

Me: “Maybe cause you two idiots have her staying almost an HOUR over just because you’re too d*** lazy to go to a regular line?! Seriously! It takes you 15 minutes to ring up THREE items?! How about this: why don’t you tell me where you work. I’ll come over the night before something big for you and keep you waiting for over an hour while I do everything to keep you from leaving?!”

(At this point the couple’s jaws drop and they continue the transaction without saying a word and rush out.)

Me: “About dang time.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!