Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Seeing Red Over Not Seeing Green

| Friendly | July 1, 2014

(My friend has managed to get a lot out of me, like money, food, etc. One day I’ve had enough.)

Friend: “Can I borrow $50? I’ll pay you back on Monday. Promise.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but no. I don’t have much money right now and I want to save up what I have to spend on something special for myself. I would if I could, but I can’t really afford it. ”

Friend: “Oh, come on! We both know you have $[three-digit number] in your account. You can lend me $50 and still have left over. Please?”

Me: “As I said, I’m trying to save up what money I have. Can’t you ask your parents?”

Friend: “Nah, I don’t want to burden them.”

Me: “And you don’t mind burdening me?”

Friend: “Well, we’re friends! Isn’t that what friends are for?”

Me: “Sure, but friends also respect each other’s choices, and I would really appreciate it if you could respect that right now. I am not comfortable giving you MY money because I want to keep it for MYSELF. I’ve worked hard for it. If you want money, you can get a job. I have a job to earn myself extra cash; not to pay for your cute tops.”

Friend: “What the h***? No need to get so angry! It’s just 50 bucks!”

Me: “If it’s ‘just 50 bucks’ then you can get it from your parents. They can afford it more than I can. What you want me to lend you is everything I earned this week. If I was going to lose that money, why did I bother going to work?”

Friend: “But I’ll return it on Monday, like I said.”

Me: “How can I trust that? I’ve lent you money in the past and it’s never been given back. You’re at least $200 in debt to me and that doesn’t even include the food I buy you when we go out. It would be closer to $300. If you bring me that on Monday, then I’ll lend you the $50.”

Friend: “But I need it this weekend!”

Me: “Then get it from your parents. You won’t be getting it from me. If I lend this money to you, I’ll be $350 out of pocket, spent on frivolities for you. I can’t trust that I’ll get the money back, because like I said, you still owe me at least $300 from past purchases.”

Friend: “My parents won’t say yes.”

Me: “And neither will I.”

Friend: “This is what friends are for. You help each other out. So, are you going to help me or not?”

Me: “Like I told you, no. Besides, it would really ‘help’ me if you returned the money I lend you when you promise – but you don’t, because I’m still waiting on a few hundred dollars from you. If friends are for helping, then I shouldn’t be the only one giving assistance. I need it from you, too. I can’t trust that you’ll return all my money, and given that I can barely afford it, and have the right to keep my money for myself, which I worked hard for, I’m not comfortable lending you anything else.”

Friend: “So much for best friends.”

Me: “I’m sorry if I’ve offended you. But I’ve bought you three tops in the past two weeks, out of my own pocket, as well as McDonald’s after school twice a week, none of which you have paid me back for. On top of that I listen to your own problems despite the fact that you haven’t listened to mine in over three months. I stand up for you when other girls talk behind your back. I help you with your homework. I’ve been as good a friend as I could possibly have been to you. I don’t see how failing to give you money, when I have every right to deny it to you, renders all that moot.”

Friend: “Because you won’t help me out. That’s why.”

Me: “But that’s what I’m saying. I do help you out, but I’ve reached my limit. What I do with my money is my choice, and I’ve chosen to give you at least $300 worth of junk. I do not wish to spend any more of that money when I cannot be sure I will get it back.”

Friend: “You’ll regret this.”

(I didn’t. She went to her parents and showed them the texts; she honestly believed she was in the right. Not only did I get the full $300 back from her parents, but she was grounded from shopping for three months, all packages delivered as a result of online shopping after that event sent back and refunded, and as I no longer helped her with her homework, she ended up failing three classes and moving schools. Needless to say we are no longer friends.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!