Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Security Has A Lot Of Baggage About Baggage

| Working | November 26, 2016

(My husband and I, who are in our early 20s, are quickly going to our nearest supermarket for a few essentials, something we do fairly often as the supermarket is only a ten minute walk away so it’s quite convenient. Just as we’re about to walk in, a security guard appears at the door.)

Security Guard: “Sorry, you can’t come in.”

Me: *confused* “Sorry, why not?” *checks watch* “You’re not closing for another two hours.”

Security Guard: *points at my husband’s backpack* “He’s got a bag; you can’t come in with your own bag.”

Me: “I have a bag, too.” *I gesture to my handbag* “It’s how I carry my purse, so I can pay for the shopping I’m about to do. My husband carries his things in his bag, and we actually put a lot of our shopping in his bag, so we’re not using plastic carrier bags. It’s never been a problem here, or in other shops.”

Security Guard: “You can’t come in if you have a bag with you.”

(At this point I notice other shoppers inside with their own bags, and I can’t be bothered to continue with this security guard.)

Me: “You know what? That’s fine. I’d rather shop somewhere where I’m not pre-judged before I even set foot inside.”

(We shopped elsewhere from then on, and I never heard anything from anyone I knew about not being allowed into a shop with your own bag.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!