Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Scheduling Some Disappointment

, , | Right | December 30, 2016

(I am hired at a photo studio for the holiday season. It takes me a week to lose patience with walk-ins and people who can’t grasp basic computer and camera information. Of course, I still have a customer service voice and a happy smile, and do my best to make everyone’s visit short, sweet, and to the point. And then Christmas Eve happens:)

Customer: *on phone* “I was wondering if you had an appointment available for later today?”

Me: “Unfortunately, I’m not allowed to make same-day appointments today, due to our shortened hours. I can make you an appointment for Saturday, though. Would that work?”

Customer: “No, no. I need pictures for Christmas cards.”

Me: *trying not to make fun of this woman’s procrastination skills* “Unfortunately, that won’t be possible today. You can come in and have pictures done at a later date.”

Customer: “You’re sure there’s nothing available?”

Me: “Like I said, we’re very busy and I’m not allowed to make same day appointments.”

Customer: *huffs and hangs up*

(Later that day I see a well-dressed woman and her two children come in and assume she’s our two o’clock.)

Me: “What can I do for you today?”

Customer: “I want to get our Christmas pictures done.”

Me: “Can I get your phone number?” *we use phone numbers to separate accounts in our system*

Customer: “[Number].”

Me: “Are you a new client with us?”

Customer: “Yes, I spoke to a girl over the phone and she said I could come on in.”

Me: *looks at the number, and checks the call list* “Ma’am, I’m the only one who’s been answering phones this last hour, and I distinctly remember telling you that we were not taking same-day appointments.”

Customer: “But this is a walk-in.”

Me: “Which we definitely cannot take.”

Customer: “But the coupon expires tomorrow.”

Me: “Then you should have made an appointment in advance like all of the others who are stuck here on Christmas Eve. Now, would you like to make an appointment for a later date, or are you going to move over so I can check in someone who made an appointment two weeks ago?”

Customer: *starts going on about how terrible I am while her children try to shush her*

(I moved over to the other register and got the two o’clock checked in. Another customer convinced her to leave by yelling rudely at her.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!