Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Scan-Wrong

, , , , | Learning | November 23, 2017

(I teach undergraduate courses and use Scantron sheets for their exams to reduce my time spent grading. This means I have to take a trip to the Scantron Center across campus — not a place known for its friendly customer service.)

Me: “Hi, I’m here to have these Scantrons graded.”

Receptionist: “Okay, are you going to wait for them to finish being scanned or come back later?”

Me: “I can wait.”

Receptionist: “Take a seat over there.”

(After a few minutes…)

Receptionist: “Wait, you didn’t bubble in [option X]. We require you to select [option X] now.”

Me: “Oh, I’m so sorry about that. Let me fix it.” *bubbles in single missing bubble and hands it back to her* “Here you go!”

Receptionist: “You know, you really should call if you have any questions on how to fill out the sheet. It gets busy around here, and it makes things go smoother.”

Me: *looks around at completely empty waiting room* “Oh, okay. Well, I’m sure I’ll remember to bubble that in next time.”

Receptionist: “Just call or email first. It’s faster. We get so busy, and it holds us up if we have to have you fix things before they are scanned.”

(She goes back to browsing the Internet on her computer. I look around again. I half-expect to see a huge line out the door based on her scowl and grumpy demeanor indicating that I’m holding up her line. Nope. Still totally empty.)

Me: “Okay. Well, thanks.”

Receptionist: *yelling to me as I’m sitting down to wait* “Just call us first! It makes it easier! We get so busy!”

(Apparently this type of interaction wasn’t unusual; many graduate students seemed to have the same type of interaction over the most minor of issues, particularly the freaking out over how “busy” it got there. I’ve been there probably 20 times now, at different points in the semester, and have only ever seen one other person there besides me.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!