Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Say What You Want; Not Like You Can Lose Your Job

, , , | Right | August 2, 2018

(I work for a chain store that is closing. A customer comes to the counter and I start to check her out.)

Customer: “So, are you happy the store is closing?”

(I am taken aback from the question. I count to ten so I don’t take her head off.)

Me: “Yeah, all my coworkers and I are thrilled to be losing our jobs.”

Customer: *realizing she may have just asked a truly stupid question* “Well, I just thought maybe you were going to retire or something.”

Me: *being a little mean and not caring* “You think I look old enough to retire?”

(The customer, now looking like she just wants to run away, sputters something about just being curious.)

Customer #2: *overhearing this, weighs in* “Happy?! Why on earth should she be happy? I’m miserable because this is my favorite place to shop and these people are so nice. I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

(The first customer paid for her items and practically ran out of the store. [Customer #2] remained a little while and commiserated with me over the closing. Thanks to [Customer #2] for making me feel a little better with her kind words.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!