Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Their Sales Pitch Has Multiple Spots Of Failure

, , , , , | Working | November 30, 2017

(I am walking through the mall one evening, and as I pass a kiosk set up in the aisle I am approached by a woman trying to sell skin lotion. At the time I am experiencing a severe breakout of cystic acne all along my jaw bone, something that happens to me every three to six months and is only controllable by one product that I already own.)

Woman: “Hello! Would you like a free sample?”

Me: “No, thank you.”

Woman: “But it’s really good for your skin! It would help you!”

Me: “Pardon?”

Woman: “Look: this product is a very good moisturizer. It is also effective at repairing any sort of damage from sunburns or other scarring. It’s a really great product; would you like to try it?”

Me: “No, I’m really not interested.”

Woman: “But it would help with your acne, and scarring!”

Me: *now fuming, staring at the woman*

Woman: “Yes, with your acne you really should use this product! It has all these wonderful features, such as—”

Me: “Does it have an antibiotic?”

Woman: “Pardon?”

Me: “What is the active ingredient that makes it so effective against acne?”

Woman: “I’m a skincare specialist; I know it works wonders on acne, and—”

Me: “I’m really not interested in trying something that will not work.”

Woman: “Well, what do you use?”

Me: “I use a topical treatment that contains clindamycin.”

Woman: “Contains what?”

Me: “Clindamycin.”

Woman: “I’ve never heard of that. This product is—”

Me: “Yes, I’m not surprised you haven’t heard of clindamycin. You are selling a skincare product; you are not a skincare specialist. I have a prescription for my product from a specialist, and I have no interest in buying your product. Please leave me alone.”

(She kept talking, so I just walked away. I have never worked in sales, but I can tell you that trying to snag a new customer by first telling them they have bad acne, and then trying to tell them you know better than they do how to handle it, is pretty harsh.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!