Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Sadly That’s A Wrap

| Right | December 27, 2014

(While I work at this store normally, I’m in on my day off, and not dressed at all in uniform. I am about as far as you can get from our uniform, which requires a button down, and apron, and pants. I’m wearing a dress. A woman approaches me as I am doing my shopping.)

Woman: “Don’t you work here?”

Me: *thinking she has been in before and recognized me, which isn’t uncommon* “Yes, ma’am. I’m just in today doing some shopping—”

Woman: “—wrap these.” *shoves several items to be gift wrapped at me*

Me: “Ma’am, I can’t wrap those for you. I’m a guest today, just like you. I’m not actually working.”

Woman: “Why are you refusing to help me? Just wrap them. I’s not that hard!”

Me: “No, it’s not. It’s also not hard to understand that when I am not clocked in, I am not obligated to do anything for you, or anyone else who walks through that door. And anyway, there is an employee just over there who would be more than happy to wrap your purchases.”

Woman: “No. I asked you, so you are going to do it! You work here and I am the customer!”

(This argument goes around in circles for several more turns, the woman refusing to acknowledge the fact that I am not technically required to help her.)

Me: *giving up* “What color paper would you like, ma’am?”

Woman: “Finally! The Christmas paper. And all of these are to be wrapped separately.”

(I end up spending thirty minutes wrapping this woman’s presents, just to get her to shut up and leave. My coworker, who would of had to deal with her had I not been there, bought me a coffee as thanks for not forcing the woman on her, instead.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!