Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Sadly She’s Not Ribbing You

, , , , , | Right | September 6, 2020

I’m working a cashier shift at a Chinese buffet that also does takeaway and delivery. For takeaway we always make fresh food and don’t allow people to take food from the buffet. As a result, we have two separate menus: the buffet which changes with whatever food is in season and the takeout which is your more standard Chinese fair like chicken balls and fried rice. Most people in the area know this or realize the difference once it’s explained to them.

Today, a newer coworker is working with me at the cash. A woman who is visibly drunk comes in. I greet her.

Me: “Hello and welcome! Is it buffet or takeout today?”

Customer: “Takeout.”

I direct her to my coworker at the takeout counter and take the next customer. She orders a combo plate but doesn’t pay for it yet and goes outside for a smoke to wait for it to be ready.

A few minutes later, she comes back. My coworker tells her the total and she empties what money she has onto the counter. She only has $6.25 and the combo plate costs almost ten dollars. He’s unsure what to do so I take over.

Me: “I’m sorry, but you don’t have enough for a combo plate. Did you want something else, instead?”

Customer: “I want ribs.”

I do a quick calculation. Even the smallest portion of ribs we offer without sides is $1.50 over what she has.

Me: “I’m sorry, but you don’t have enough money for ribs. I can offer you something else, like a fried rice or a wonton soup? You have enough money for those.”

Customer: “Sure.”

Me: “Okay, so we have [options]; which one would you like?”

Customer: “I want ribs.”

Me: “I’m sorry, you don’t have enough money for ribs. I can give you a fried rice; those have meat in them, as well.”

Customer: “Just take a fried rice and put the ribs in, instead.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but I can’t do that; ribs cost more than rice or soup. You don’t have enough for the ribs today.”

Customer: “IT’S ALL YOU CAN EAT, B****!”

She stormed out. 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!