Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Running Onion Rings Around Common Sense

, | Right | January 2, 2013

(At our store, ordering a combo will always be cheaper than ordering the three items separately. This applies for all sides, not just fries. Our menu and prices reflect this, and most people have no problem understanding.)

Customer: “I’d like a number three combo, but with onion rings instead of fries.”

Me: “No problem. That’ll be [price].”

(The customer gets his food to go, pays, and then demands to talk to me when he sees his receipt.)

Me: “What’s the trouble, sir?”

Customer: “I was supposed to pay an dollar for those rings!”

Me: “No, sir. If you’ll notice our prices, you ordered the combo meal, which means the onion rings are cheaper than if you’d ordered them separately.”

(I point out the two different prices, clearly labelled as ‘alone’ and ‘replacing fries’. However, he barely glances at where I’m pointing.)

Customer: “Your menu is misleading!”

Me: “I’m sorry if you thought that sir, but you are paying for a dollar cheaper than if you’d—”

Customer: “I want to see the manager!”

(The manager has been listening this whole time, and comes over. He tells the customer the exact same thing I’ve been telling him.)

Customer: “Well… your prices are still misleading! I can’t believe I paid this!”

Manager: “Sir, I’m sorry you feel that way, but as my employee has been telling you, our prices are clearly listed, and you actually saved money by getting the combo. I honestly don’t see the problem here.”

Customer: “The problem is that your prices are misleading!”

(He takes his food and storms out. The manager just shrugs and makes to return to his office, but an eat-in customer steps up to the counter.)

Customer #2: “Excuse me, folks? I want to register a complaint against you!”

Me: “Yes, sir?”

Customer #2: *smiles* “I want to complain because I’m actually saving money, and you’re giving me a good deal!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!