Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Rumors Often Stick Around

, , , , , | Working | January 28, 2022

I keep having to confiscate old glue bottles that the team mixes up in the mornings. The rule is that they have to mix up a fresh batch every four hours. I have to admit that it seems a bit wasteful, but those are the rules, and they are more than likely there for a very good reason.

I’m having a bad week of it; one guy not only ignores the rules but is actively pushing others to break the rules, too. He is giving me a hard time about taking away the bottle that he made up yesterday.

Worker: “Why are you taking that? It’s good.”

Me: “You made this yesterday! The rule is four hours.”

Worker: “That’s a stupid rule. The glue is good still. It still sticks, see?”

He makes an attempt to demonstrate, and yep, the glue does stick.

Me: “Look, the rule must be there for a reason. We don’t put things in place for fun.”

Worker: “Have you checked the instructions? Have you read the book? Go away and look at it.”

To shut him up, I go and find the glue instructions. Yes, the first line on the page is, “Adhesive can be stored for up to twelve hours once mixed…” What he didn’t bother to read was the next line, which is, “…when using [part number] hardener. When using [our part number], the maximum pot time is four hours.”

I take it back to the line and wipe the smirk off his face.

Me: “No more storing bottles for days on end.”

Worker: “No, sorry.”

Me: “And no more convincing others.”

Worker: “No, I see now. Sorry.”

True to his word, I never caught him out again. However, it was months before we got everyone else on the same page; everyone “knew” or had heard that the glue was good for twelve hours, and the rumour spread faster than I could catch it.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!