Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Cap Is Crap

| Working | November 15, 2012

(I have worked for this company for a little over 7 months. In that time, I have worked been a very good employee, working whenever asked, going above and beyond in my duties, helping others out. I enjoy my job and frequently tell people how much I enjoy it and working in general. I have been very thankful for my job because I was previously unemployed for 2 years and this was the first job I had found related to my line of work.)

Boss: “I need to see you in my office before you leave.”

(Note: Quitting time is 3:30 and it is 3:28. Most everyone is already headed out the door to start their cars.)

Me: “What’s up?”

Boss: “I’m sorry to tell you this, but HR emailed me this morning and you have met the max amount of hours you can work this year. You can only work through the end of the day on Monday.”

Me: “…Wait, what? What are you talking about?”

Boss: “You will not be scheduled to work anymore after Monday. You’ve met the cap on hours.”

Me: “What cap? I don’t understand. Am I being fired?”

Boss: “No, no! You can work with us again after your year is up.”

(Note: My year won’t be up for awhile–almost five months from now.)

Me: “So, I’m pretty much being fired then, but without being fired? So I can’t apply for unemployment?”

Boss: “Yup!”

Me: “I don’t understand. Did I do something wrong?”

Boss: “No, not at all. In fact, you are one of my best workers. It’s a shame to see you go. But you can come back in five months.”

Me: “Let me understand this. I am a good worker?”

Boss: *nods yes*

Me: “You enjoy having me in the office?”

Boss: *nods yes*

Me: “Without me, you’ll have to hire someone else to do the job I’ve been doing for the past 7 months?”

Boss: *nods yes*

Me: “So pretty much, this new person will get paid for 3 weeks of being completely useless, making someone else have to do their job and my job, while this person is in training…”

Boss: *nods yes*

Me: “…because a contract clause says I can only work so many hours in a year?”

Boss: “So you DO understand!”

(I walk out of the office dazed, confused, and panicked about being unemployed again. I run into my coworker.)

Coworker: “What did you get in trouble for?”

Me: “Nothing. I can’t work anymore after Monday.”

Coworker: “Oooh, you must have hit the cap. That sucks.” *walks away*

Me: “What cap?!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!