Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Risk Of Fire Very Low, Risk Of Prejudice Is Off The Charts

, , , , | Right | September 5, 2019

(I am sweeping up a minor spill in the lobby when a small group of irritated people comes up to me.)

Irritated Woman: “There are two men praying in the hall.”

Me: “Oh?”

Irritated Woman: “There are two—” *whispers* “—Muslims—” *normal voice* “—praying in the hall over there.”

(This is a reasonably diverse area and this happens somewhat regularly.)

Me: “Are they blocking the fire exit?”

Irritated Woman: “No.”

Me: “Then it’s fine.”

Irritated Woman: *more irritated* “This is America! They can’t pray like that here!”

(I decide to ignore the ludicrous hypocrisy of that statement.)

Me: “They’re not breaking any laws or theater rules. As long as they’re not blocking the fire exit, there’s nothing we can or will do about it.”

Irritated Woman: “What if we started praying in the hall?”

Me: “As long as you don’t block the fire exit, it’s fine.”

(The irritated group left. About half an hour later, they were holding an impromptu prayer circle in the hall when my manager asked them to move over about five feet. They were blocking the fire exit.)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!