Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Rest Is IMPORTANT

, , , , , , , | Working | July 14, 2022

This story takes place pre-[health crisis]. I’m doing a wire transfer for one of our regulars. He’s an older, fairly cranky lawyer who likes to pace back and forth rather than sit down and wait for a transaction to be completed. I called out sick yesterday and am back at work due to my boss giving me a guilt trip, but I am slowly realizing that I should’ve taken a second day off. I have a horrible cough and body aches.

I’m filling out the paperwork when I feel the urge to cough. I turn away from the customer, grab a tissue, cough into it, toss the tissue, pop a cough drop in my mouth, sanitize my hands, and get back to work.

Me: “Just another minute, [Regular], and I’ll have your wire ready to call in.”

I look up and notice that he’s stopped pacing. He’s looking at me with actual concern.

Regular: “I heard you cough. Are you okay?”

Me: “Oh, I’m fine. Just a little cold.”

Regular: “Why are you working?!”

Me: “Well, sometimes you gotta go to work even if you don’t feel all that great.”

Regular: “No, no. This won’t do. You should be at home with a cup of tea and a good movie. Is [Manager] here? She can do my wire. I’m going to tell her to send you home.”

Before I can respond, he marches over to my manager’s desk, says something that I can’t quite hear, points at me, and waves his arms around. My boss gestures at him to sit down. He shakes his head, says something else, and starts pacing again. My boss comes over to my desk with a ferocious scowl.

Boss: “Why are you telling people you’re sick?”

Me: “I coughed; he asked.”

Boss: “And now he’s over at my desk throwing a fit because he thinks I made you come in sick!”

Me: “I didn’t tell him that. But, I mean, technically, you did—”

Boss: “Don’t start with me!”

I start coughing again.

Boss: “I give up! Go home!”

Me: “And you won’t guilt-trip me if I’m still sick tomorrow?”

Boss: “Not if you go home right now.”

Me: “You’ve got a deal.”

I grabbed my purse and walked out the door. The regular shouted, “Atta girl!” as I was exiting.

I felt worse the next day, so I went to my doctor. I had the flu and bronchitis. I was out for a full week.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!