Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Religious Hatred Works Both Ways

| Right | June 29, 2014

(A customer I’ve never seen before comes in alone; he’s young and looks fairly normal. It’s slow, so it’s pretty much just me running the cash register and the bar by myself, with my manager doing paperwork in the back. There are a couple of other customers who’ve already been served.)

Customer: “Can I have two large lattes and a medium blended mocha with peppermint?”

Me: “Sure thing!”

(I ring him up and begin making his drinks. I’m almost finished when he notices that I’m wearing a small silver cross necklace.)

Customer: “You’re not a Christian, are you?”

Me: “Well, I’m non-denominational, but yes, I’m a Christian.”

Customer: “You can’t be serious. You know that’s all just a fairytale, right?”

Me: “Here you are, sir.”

Customer: “I can’t drink this. If you’re a Christian, you’ve got centuries of blood all over your hands, and I’m not touching anything you’ve touched. I want a full refund, you w****. How can you hypocrites live with yourselves?”

(Not wanting to continue the conversation since I didn’t trust myself to remain calm, I begin a return.)

Customer: “I mean, just look at Westboro Baptist Church! That’s more than enough evidence for me that you all deserve to be wiped off the map!”

(He goes on like this all the while I’m processing his return. None of the other customers in the shop say anything, although I see one or two looking at us. I finally finish his transaction and hand him his money and receipt and manage to look him in the eye)

Me: “Have a blessed day, sir.”

(He cursed violently and knocked the two lattes off the counter. One of them landed on his pants, scalding and causing him to curse again. He grabbed his money and stormed out, still yelling about how religious people are a “disgrace to humanity” and should be “exterminated.” After I cleaned up the remnants of the lattes, I went on break and drank his blended mocha.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!