Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Registering The Bad Ones At The Register

| Working | April 10, 2017

(I am a supporting manager at my store. We hire a new cashier who seems like a good worker, if a tad lazy. However, over a period of several weeks, we start to notice money going missing from the registers. One busy Saturday, I cover the new cashier’s register while she goes on her lunch break. During the rush, her thirty minute break stretches out to forty five minutes. This is not a first-time occurrence.)

Me: *to my coworkers* “Does anyone know where [Cashier] is? She’s been gone forty five minutes, and we really need more coverage at the registers…”

(I notice an older woman standing near the clock-in office who glares at me, but I’m too busy at the registers to pay her any attention. Eventually, the new cashier returns without an excuse for being late. The next day, my boss pulls me aside and asks if I can attend a meeting with the cashier. I am currently the only female manager, and it is considered good protocol to have a “witness” around for a one-on-one conversation between a female employee and a male manager. I agree, and the three of us sit down in the manager’s office.)

Boss: “[Cashier], we just wanted to touch base with you over a couple of things. Earlier today, I noticed you and your mom go into the bathroom with a [Store] bag full of something. Would you mind just letting us know what that was about?”

(I’m surprised, but I stay quiet.)

Cashier: “Oh, yeah, my pants got stained, and my mom brought me a fresh set during my break.”

Boss: “Okay, I see. And speaking of your breaks, we just wanted to remind you that your lunch breaks are meant to be for thirty minutes only. That’s thirty minutes when you’re not on the clock, NOT thirty minutes in the break room. Any time you’re not working, that’s part of your break. See what I mean?”

Me: *piping up* “The thing is, especially during rush periods, we really need all the hands we can get, which means we really need you back on the clock after your thirty minutes are up.”

Cashier: “Okay, I understand.”

(We depart, and I assume the problem is solved. However, a few hours later, an older woman storms up to me, the same woman who had been standing near the office yesterday.)

Me: “Can I help you?”

Woman: *viciously* “I just want you to know that my daughter is NOT a thief!”

Me: *blank, bewildered stare*

Woman: “My daughter would never steal from anyone! I was just bringing her new pants! She’s a good employee, and you’re lucky to have her! How dare you assume she’d be a thief!”

Me: “I… never said she was…?”

Woman: “And just so you know, she was NOT gone forty five minutes! She is very responsible!” *storms away*

(A little dazed and annoyed, I resumed working. I later found out that the cashier sent her mother to fuss not only at me, but also at my boss, and even at another employee who had nothing to do with it! A few weeks later, my boss ended up firing her for repeatedly failing to show up for her shifts. So much for being “responsible.” As for the registers, they stopped missing money as soon as she was gone.)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!