Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Refusing To Steal Away For Them

, , , , | Right | January 28, 2023

I’m a volunteer in a charity shop. We’ve recently had a fair amount of theft, and we’ve started checking the shop regularly to see if we can see a pattern. We can. There always seems to be something missing right after a visit by two mums, each with a small child in a pushchair.

Our manager starts joining us in checking the shop, and on one occasion discovers several empty spots which were definitely filled before they came in. She’s now asked us to keep a particular eye on them next time they come in, as she knows they are the thieves but has absolutely no concrete proof as she hasn’t actually seen them take anything.

It’s a very quiet day and we haven’t had many customers. I spot a familiar pair coming through the door, so I head toward them.

Me: “Hi. Can I help you find anything today?”

Them: “No, thanks. We’re just looking.”

Me: “Okay, that’s fine.”

And I stay right there next to them. As they walk around the shop, I follow them. I’m not even pretending to tidy up, or look busy. I’m just watching them. They start to look annoyed.

Mum #1: “Are you watching us?”

Me: “Yes.”

Mum #2: “What? Why? We’re just looking!”

Me: “That’s fine. You can carry on browsing. Take all the time you need; don’t let me rush you.”

Mum #1: “Are you just going to keep watching us?

Me: “Yes.”

Mum #1: *Getting angry* “Why? Huh? What do you think we’re going to do?”

Me: “I hope you’re just going to look around and see if there’s anything you want to buy.”

Mum #2: *Also angry* “Well, you can’t just follow us! That’s rude! Why don’t you go and find something to do instead of harassing us?”

Me: “Well, we’ve found a lot of things go mysteriously missing from the shop, so we need to keep an eye on things.”

Mum #1: “Are you accusing us of stealing?

Me: “Nope. I’m watching you to make sure you don’t have the chance.”

Mum #2:Are you serious? I’m going to get you fired!

Me: “Go ahead and try. My manager’s over there. She asked me to keep an eye on you. And I’m a volunteer, so I don’t get paid anyway and I couldn’t care less if I get fired.”

Mum #1: “F*** you! F*** you all! we’re never coming back!”

Me: “Oh, good. Bye-bye.”

They stormed out, and we haven’t seen them since. My manager was staring at me with her mouth open. She said she couldn’t believe what I’d said to them, but she was so pleased to see the back of them!

And no, I wasn’t fired. She bought us all cakes that afternoon.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!