Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Refunder Blunder, Part 30

| Right | July 24, 2017

Customer: “I want to return this ink because my printer doesn’t work anymore, and I want to get the ink for my new printer in exchange.”

Me: “Okay, do you have your receipt?”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “Oh. Do you know how you paid for it? Maybe I can look up a receipt for you.”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “Do you know when you bought it?”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “Um… okay… Well, I guess I can give you store credit since it isn’t open, but I just have to check the cheapest price it’s sold at in the last six weeks and give it to you back at that price.”

Customer: “Why would you do that? It wasn’t on sale when I bought it.”

Me: “But without a receipt, I don’t have proof of that, so I have to give it to you at the cheaper price if there is one.”

Customer: “This is ridiculous! This brand of ink doesn’t even go on sale!”

Me: “It does, just not as often.”

Customer: “It wasn’t on sale when I bought it!”

Me: “Okay then, do you have your receipt?”

Customer: “NO!”

Me: “Then I’m going to check the computer for the last sale price. It’s store policy.”

(I check and it was in fact on sale for 10% off a month ago, so I tell her this.)

Customer: “I can’t believe you’re going to take $5 off my ink for a stupid store policy! It wasn’t on sale when I bought it! And don’t tell me you need to see a receipt because that’s ridiculous! I want to exchange it for this new ink so there shouldn’t be any money being exchanged!”

Me: “Well, the two brands of ink here aren’t the same price, so we have to either give you the sale price or you have you pay whatever the difference is. Just because you’re getting a new item at the same time doesn’t mean you don’t have to pay full price.”

Customer: “FINE! Look up my receipt! I paid for it on this credit card!”

Me: “Okay, I’ll get my manager to get it.”

(I page my manager to come over and she is just finishing up with a customer.)

Customer: “What are we waiting for?!”

Me: “My manager. I said she had to find the receipt.”

(My manager comes over and the customer gives her the credit card.)

Customer: “WHERE ARE YOU TAKING MY CARD!?”

Manager: “To the office, to look up your receipt on our computer.”

Customer: “NO! YOU ARE NOT TAKING MY CREDIT CARD INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM!”

(The customer continued to yell at my manager and me for another few minutes, until finally my manager said we would give her the full price back but only in store credit. I then go to process the exchange.)

Me: “Okay, so just because there’s no receipt, I need some information. Your first and last name?”

Customer: “EXCUSE ME?! I’m not giving you my name!”

Manager: “It’s store policy to take all this information without a receipt.”

(The customer reluctantly gives me her information and I process the exchange. After she leaves:)

Manager: “WOW, you think she had something to hide?”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!