Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Refunder Blunder, Part 11

| Right | May 8, 2015

(I work as a cashier at an electronics store. A woman has just come to me for a refund but doesn’t have the card it was purchased on. Company policy dictates I must put it back on the same card.)

Me: “I’m really sorry, ma’am, but I can’t issue the refund without the card. What I can do however is leave it as a credit on the system, and when you come back with the correct card I would be happy to refund it to you.”

Customer: “That is totally outrageous! I don’t have the card because I lost it when I was in hospital! I was very sick! Why can’t you just bend the rules and put it back on this card?!”

Me: “Because, ma’am, I’m not willing to risk my job over a $30 return. I’m really sorry but you need to bring the correct card with you to get your refund.”

(The customer glares at me and snatches her receipt off the counter.)

Customer: “This is totally ridiculous! I’ll be finding somewhere else to shop from now on!” *storms out*

(Fifteen minutes later, the same customer returns to my counter looking sheepish.)

Customer: “I found the card. It was in my car.”

Me: “Well, that’s wonderful! Let me process that return for you now.”

(I start processing the return.)

Me: “I’m really sorry about making you get the correct card, I know it’s a hassle but it’s important to [Company] to do things right.”

Customer: *sighs* “Yeah, well, we have the same policy at my work but we usually just ignore it.”

Me: “…”

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!