Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Refunder Blunder Meets Taxing Taxing

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: OnlyPrint5323 | November 28, 2022

I work at an office supply and stationery store. I live in a state which has no sales tax, and people often come here to buy things if they live close enough.

Me: “Hi there! How’s it going today?”

Customer: “I bought this printer in [City in a state which has sales tax] because they didn’t have it in [Home State], and I wasn’t exempted from the sales tax, so the manager at that store told me to return it in [Home State] and I could buy it back from you guys.”

I am dumbfounded, to say the least. I barely travel out of state, but I know enough to say we can’t refund taxes paid to another state. And if that isn’t enough, she didn’t even bring the printer to my store so it’s not like I can even process it in the first place.

I flag down my manager to see what can be done, and I explain everything.

Manager: “We could refund the printer, but the taxes were paid to another state, so we can’t refund it.”

Customer: “So, there’s nothing you can do?”

Manager: “It’s outside our jurisdiction.”

Customer: “Thanks for wasting my time!”

Honestly, she should have ordered online.

Related:
Taxing Taxing, Part 15
Refunder Blunder Double Wonder
Refunder Blunder, Part 60
Taxing Taxing, Part 14
Refunder Blunder, Part 59

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!