Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Receiving Is Believing

| Working | January 7, 2013

(Our bookstore does special ordering, so we get packages almost every day of the week. To show our appreciation for the delivery company’s hard work, I go in with cookies from our local bakery, which are in a clear display package with a bow on top.)

Clerk: *looks worried* “…Can I help you?”

Me: “You can deliver this to your break room.”

Clerk: “Uh… I’ll have to get my manager.”

(A minute later…)

Manager: “I’m sorry; we can’t.”

(I’m a bit confused, so I assume there must be a rule about home-baked goods or something.)

Me: “It’s okay; it’s from [bakery]. See? It’s still sealed.”

Manager: “But we can’t ship things that aren’t in a secure box.”

Me: “No, it’s a present for you guys! To eat here!”

Manager: “Oh…” *looks as if she’s about to cry* “…thank you!”

(It turns out the manager had just been on the phone with a customer who was mad that a driver hadn’t come out to her isolated farm house for a pickup; note that we were having a blizzard that day. The clerk who misunderstood me was brand new, and doing his first week at the counter in the week before Christmas. We all had a laugh over confusion and cranky customers.)


This story is part of the Christmas In The Workplace roundup!

Read the next Christmas In The Workplace roundup story!

Read the Christmas In The Workplace roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!