Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Really Phoned That One In

, , , , | Working | April 14, 2021

We have a junior support staff worker with us. She answers phones, emails potential customers, books lunches, etc. It’s not a very busy role, suitable for those without experience wanting to climb the ladder. She does an okay job but tends to chat a lot, and her stories seem to get more and more unbelievable every week.

She has told us about her famous family (that she can’t then talk about,) her murder suspect uncle who is apparently at large, her fabulous holidays (that she never has any details on), etc.

She doesn’t harm anyone, so I play along for the most part.

One morning, I get back after a work-related task and see [Coworker] in the owner’s office. He looks angry and she looks very uncomfortable. After a while, she goes back to her desk, refusing to talk to me.

I give it a minute and then walk over to the owner’s office.

Me: “Is this a bad time?”

Owner: “Hmm? Oh, no, it’s fine. Shut the door, though.”

Me: “Problems?”

Owner: “[Coworker] has been getting some nasty and aggressive phone calls from a withheld number. They called her by name, so it must be a customer. I’m going to find out who it is, and when I do—”

Me: “Sorry, did this happen today?”

Owner: “Well, yes, this morning.”

Me: “Okay. Well, you know our phone system has been down all morning? I’ve just got back from talking to the supplier.”

He sinks back in his chair.

Owner: “So no phone calls.”

Me: “No, no one can ring in at all. And it won’t be fixed for a few more hours.”

Owner: “When did the problem start?”

Me: “Last night. I can pull the logs, but I think…”

Owner: “…she made it all up.”

Me: “I’m not sure how she thought she would get away with it. All of our IP phones log calls.”

Owner: “Okay, I will deal with it.”

As far as I know, [Coworker] didn’t get into any real trouble for making that up, but she did stop with the stories after that.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!