Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Read Until The End – You Can Quote Us On That

, , , , | Right | December 21, 2020

A man is calling about a car insurance quote he says he got online through a price comparison site that he can no longer find a record of. I’ve tried everything to find his quote but nothing comes up.

Eventually, I learn that it was almost five weeks ago that he got the quote, so I tell him it’s most likely not valid anymore as we only hold quotes for thirty days. He gets angry and demands a manager.

Manager: “I’m sorry, sir, but [My Name] is correct. If you didn’t accept the quote at the time, then the price is most likely no longer available.”

Caller: “That’s ridiculous. You’re violating the rules set by the financial conduct authority.”

Manager: *Feigning ignorance* “Which rules are these, sir?”

Caller: *Sputters* “The rules! Where once you’ve given a price to a customer you have to honour it.”

Manager: “Did you accept the quote when you got it?”

Caller: “No.”

Manager: “How long did you think the price was to remain valid?”

Caller: “Until I bought it, of course.”

Manager: “So, if I’m understanding correctly you expected insurance prices to remain exactly the same, forever, just to suit yourself?”

Caller: “You can’t treat a customer like this.”

Manager: “But you’re not a customer. You’ve admitted you don’t have a policy with us, and frankly, there’s not much point in us continuing this conversation as I can do nothing more for you. You can get a new quote online or speak to [My Name] for a quote.”

Caller: “Fine, but I want a discount for all the hassle you put me through.”

Manager: “Hassle?”

Caller: “Yes! I’ve been on the phone now for thirty minutes. I could’ve been doing something else with my time, you know.”

Manager: “That was your own choice, sir, so no, I will not authorise a discount. You could’ve chosen to believe my colleague when she told you the price wasn’t available, but you decided to wait and hear it from a manager.”

Caller: “You people are disgusting. Hiking up the prices and lying to customers.”

Manager: “Sir, rates change for a multitude of reasons, but if there’s nothing else I can help you with, I will disconnect our call here, as there appears to be nothing more I can do for you.”

Caller: “You can help me save money and stop stealing from good people!”

Manager: “Well! Let me help you save money on your phone bill, then.”

Caller: “What, how?”

Manager: *Click*


This story is part of our Best Of December 2020 roundup!

Read the next Best Of December 2020 roundup story!

Read the Best Of December 2020 roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!