Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Reaching Your Baking Point 

, , , , | Right | July 13, 2021

In Germany, to become a baker, you need to finish a three-year apprenticeship. If you pass the final exam, you can call yourself a journeyman. After several more years and another rather expensive exam, you can call yourself a master craftsman. You need at least a passed apprenticeship to be allowed to open a bakery and must be a master craftsman to offer apprenticeship.

I always liked working with food and have a knack for baking, so I decided to either become a cook or baker. I pass my exam as a baker as best of my class but I discover during my apprenticeship that I suffer from such severe skin sensitivities that I cannot work with flour and dough on a daily basis.

Also, due to the rapidly declining respect for blue-collar jobs, I find myself unwilling to endure the horrible working conditions bakers, cooks, and other labourers have to endure. So, I finish further education and enter a white-collar career.

Still, I love to bake and often bring my very professionally made baked goods to parties, potlucks, and other events. These are the silliest reactions and dialogues I have gotten as a reaction.

Guest: “Hmmm! This bread is delicious. And it looks good! Is it homemade or from a real baker?”

Me: “Yes.”

When I give some of my recipes after people asked for them:

Colleague: “Oh, my, your cake looked so good and had such a great taste! I tried your recipe recently and it didn’t work at all. What brand of [random ingredient] do you use?”

Me: “Well, mostly [Generic Brand].”

Colleague: “That can’t be; that’s just cheap trash! I used [Overpriced Stuff with unnecessary additives] that’s much better!”

Or, if a special brand has to be used:

Colleague: “No, no, no, that can’t be so important. All kinds of [ingredient] are the same! That’s just an overpriced brand!”

Finally, my favourite comment:

Acquaintance: “Uh, a certification as a baker? Who needs that? Everyone can bake. You just need to throw stuff together. They should just scrap all that nonsense and let everyone just open a bakery if they want to. You learn all that stuff in passing.”

No, dear people, that’s not how it works and many really can’t.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!