Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Reached Rock-Bottom Dollar

| Right | October 27, 2014

(I’m finishing up a transaction with a customer when she hands me two coupons. I scan the $5 off coupon first, and then the 10% off coupon.)

Me:“Your total comes to [total].”

Customer #1: “YOU JUST CHEATED ME OUT OF A DOLLAR!”

Me: *taken aback* “I’m sorry, what?”

Customer #1: “You scanned the $5 one first, which then lowered the price so the 10 % off comes out to less!”

Me:“Oh, I’m sorry it looks that way. It’s actually just the way our system works. The $5 coupon is seen as a coupon, and not a form of tender. You haven’t actually paid $5, so if I had scanned the 10% one first, once I scanned the $5 one, it would have lowered your discount to the same.”

Customer #1: “No, it wouldn’t have. You’re just making that up. You did that on purpose!”

Me: “Ma’am, I promise you it would have. That’s actually why I did the $5 one first, because I’ve seen it happen, and customers get upset when they see the discount get smaller.”

Customer #1: “Look, I know it’s only $1, but what you’re saying makes no sense. You have no idea what you’re talking about!”

Me: “Ma’am, I’ve been here three years. I can promise you that is what would have happened, However, if you would like, I can call the manager up here to void the transaction and I will do it your way so you can see.”

Customer #1: “No, I don’t have time for that! It’s only $1, but you cheated me. I don’t have time for this!”

(This goes on for a full three minutes of her yelling at me for cheating her out of $1 and me offering to have the transaction voided and her insisting that she doesn’t have time. Finally, a customer at the tag engraving machine decides that he’s had enough.)

Customer #2: “Lady! You keep insisting that it is no big deal and that you don’t have time, but you’ve wasted her time and mine by arguing even though she has offered numerous times to do it your way. I will give you the d*** dollar if it means you will shut the h*** up and just leave!”

Customer #1: *grunts, glares at me and him, RIPS her bags out of my hands, and storms off*

Customer #2: *sighs* “You couldn’t pay me enough to work even one shift for you.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!