Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Raceless Accusations, Part 2

, , , | Right | August 20, 2012

(On a very slow night, I’m helping our only customer with a coworker. I notice another customer enter the store, glance around, and disappear into the aisles. Once the other customer leaves, she approaches us carrying some items.)

Customer: “I can’t believe you didn’t help me when I came in.”

Me: “I’m sorry, we were helping the gentleman who just left.”

Customer: “Well, I would just like you to quit being racist and check me out.”

(My coworker and I are taken aback at the accusation, but I remain courteous.)

Me: “Um, sure.”

(At that moment, the customer sees a different coworker at a register.)

Customer: “Never mind, I’ll just ask her.”

(The customer returns moments later, as it turns out my coworker’s register is closed. I hadn’t known the other one was closed, or else I would have warned her.)

Customer: “I can’t believe you’re all so racist here that you can’t even help me. I’ll call the NAACP on you, and they’ll crack down on this store!”

Me: “I’m sorry you feel that way, ma’am. Would you like me to call the manager on duty to address your concern?”

Customer: “Yes, please do.”

(I radio in our manager on duty, who comes quickly to the register. He is one of two black men with management positions in the store, and we only have four managers.)

Me: “This is our manager for tonight. [Manager on duty], this woman has a concern she would like to address.”

Manager: *smiling* “How may I help you, ma’am?”

Customer: *deflates instantly and leaves in a huff*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!