Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Quite Frankly, Sir, Shut Up

, , | Right | January 2, 2021

I used to work at a very popular fast food chain where people were rude to me often. I eventually quit because of how some people treated me, as well as constant scheduling issues.

Me: “Will that be all for you today, sir?”

Customer: “Yes, ma’am.”

I press a button on the register, and then I need a name for the order. It is very busy at this point, which means it is very loud.

Me: “All right, sir, may I have a name for the order, please?”

The customer says his name, but since it is really loud, I hear what I think is Frank.

Me: “Frank?”

I say this unsurely, just confirming to see if I got his name right. His whole attitude changes.

Customer: “No, [My Name], my name isn’t Frank. It’s [Customer]!”

Me: *Trying to be civil* “I apologize, sir, I was just confirming. It’s very loud and I can’t hear so well.”

Customer: *Unable to let it go* “How did you get my name wrong? I said it clearly. It’s simple. Why would you say Frank? It’s [Customer].”

My manager has heard this ordeal and he comes over to see what is up.

Manager: “It’s okay, sir, she was just confirming. She’s doing her job.”

I finish the transaction without him saying another word. But it doesn’t end here. I have to go get him honey from the kitchen since there is none up front. Trying not to make him mad again, I set the honey in front of him on the counter and give him a small smile. I don’t want to talk to him again, but I want to be polite, at least. I start to turn away.

Customer: “[My Name]! [My Name]! WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS? YOU WERE SO RUDE! WHY DIDN’T YOU PLACE THE HONEY IN MY HAND?! FIRST YOU GET MY NAME WRONG, AND NOW YOU WERE RUDE! I WANT TO SEE YOUR MANAGER!”

I have really bad anxiety, and the place is full so everyone is looking at us. Behind the counter, I start to cry. My manager goes to talk to him while I wipe my eyes and attempt to serve another customer, since we are so busy.

Me: *Miserably, on the verge of tears* “Hi, welcome to [Restaurant]. It is my pleasure to serve you today.” 

Customer #2: *Angrily* “That guy was an a**hole! You did nothing wrong, sweetie.”

I smiled a little bit, but I tried to talk as little as possible because of how upset I was. The man walked out of the restaurant angrily. My manager rubbed my shoulder and told me it wasn’t my fault and that I did nothing wrong.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!