Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Qualifications Worth Paying For

| Working | May 1, 2017

(It’s about 12:30 am and I am about to get to bed when, out of the blue, a manager that I really do not get along with texts me. I should also mention that I’m technically senior faculty, but am not “qualified enough” for a promotion.)

Manager: “Hey, [My Name], can you work today 8:30 am to 2:00 pm? [Assistant Manager] called in sick earlier today and I need someone who knows what they’re doing on this event.”

Me: “So that means I would have to fill out all the paperwork that [Assistant Manager] would normally have to do, right? I’ve never done it before.”

Manager: “Yes, you would, but it’s easy.”

Me: “Does this mean I get paid $13.50 an hour instead of $8.50 an hour because I will be taking an assistant manager’s shift?”

Manager: “No, you’re not qualified to be an assistant manager. Will you or will you not be in tomorrow?”

Me: “No, I’m not doing the work of an assistant manager for the pay of a regular employee. Promote me or I won’t come in.”

Manager: “Fine, I’ll ask [Coworker who’s also a senior employee], then.”

(He said no as well. I plan on taking this to HR if it keeps up.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!