Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Putting Up With A Latte Idiots

, , , , , , | Working | May 2, 2023

I work as a barista trainer. My entire job is to train and certify baristas, and it’s actually really fun! I’ve only been at this job for eight months or so, but it has been the best job I’ve had! However, I still need to put up with idiots all the time.

Basically, how the class works, you need to do the first three hours of the class (which is very content-heavy) before you can do the fun latte art two-hour component. If you haven’t done the three-hour, you can’t do the two-hour.

The other trainers and I were setting up class two in the hour break we had between them when I noticed someone at our door, knocking pretty frantically. Being management, I walked up to see what was happening.

Me: “Hi! How can I help you?”

Trainee: “Oh, hi. I’m here for the latte art class.”

Me: “We’ve just started set-up, so we’ll still be about fifteen minutes before we start. You can wait here or have some lunch and come back then?”

Trainee: “Oh, okay. Can I do the class?”

Me: *Confused* “Uh, yeah, it’s just that we haven’t set it up yet. It’ll be another fifteen minutes before we start.”

Trainee: “So, I can do it?”

Me: *Still confused* “Yeah, we’ll start in about fifteen.”

Trainee: “So, it doesn’t matter that I missed the first class?”

Now it made sense.

Me: “Oh! No, you need to do the first part before doing this one. When were you supposed to do the first class?”

Trainee: “This morning.”

Me: “Oh?”

Trainee: “Yeah, I showed up thirty minutes late and saw the door was locked, so I just left.”

I was dumbfounded. It’s company policy that we’re allowed to let students into the class no matter how late they are, so usually, they just stand outside until one of the trainers lets them in. It will at most take five minutes before we notice them.

Me: “Unfortunately, because you didn’t do the first class, I can’t let you do this one. You’re going to have to rebook. There’s no extra fee.”

Trainee: “But I was here.”

Me: “Yes, but you did not complete the class and I was unable to assess you.”

Trainee: “But I was here! It’s not my fault you didn’t let me in.”

Me: “Yes, but you left before we could let you in.”

Trainee: “But—”

Me: “Sir, if you just call us on Monday or come into the store, we can rebook you for another class free of charge.”

Trainee: “Why can’t you do it now?”

Me: “It’s a Saturday, so no receptionists are in.”

Trainee: “Why can’t you do it now?”

Me: “I’m just the trainer; I don’t have access to the systems.”

Trainee: “This is stupid. Let me talk to your manager.”

This was the happiest moment of my life; this job was my first management position, and this was my first shift by myself, so I FINALLY was able to pull the card I’d wanted to pull for years!

Me: “Sir, I am the manager. I’ll see you on Monday!”

I shut the door, leaving him on the other side. He banged the door for a little bit before storming off.

He did indeed come back on Monday and tried to complain to ME about this rude employee he’d encountered on Saturday. Oh, his face when I calmly explained that he was complaining about me. I wasn’t aware people could turn that red! Icing on the cake? When he finally took the class, he failed it because he kept arguing with my boss over the training. Some people are just made to be entertainment, I guess.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!