Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Putting The Screwed Into Screwdriver

| Right | January 16, 2015

(I work in the hardware department of [Major Company]. I get a call 5 minutes to close.)

Me: “[Major Company] hardware department. This is [My Name] speaking. How may I help you today?”

Customer: “Hi, yes. I was looking to see if you have [item number] screwdriver set in. I have been looking at it for weeks, but have been waiting for the price to drop.”

Me: “Certainly, ma’am. Would you mind if I put you on hold for a minute while I go check?”

Customer: “Sure thing.”

*I put them on hold, find the set, and get back on the call*

Me: “Hello, ma’am? We do have the set in stock.”

Customer: “Oh, great, could you hold it for me?”

Me: “Are you in the parking lot?”

Customer: “No, why?”

Me: “Well, we can only hold items at our registers until we close for the night on the same day.”

Customer: “Well, how many do you have left?”

Me: “This would be the last one, ma’am.”

Customer: “Last one? What the hell?! Can’t you put it in back or something?! I’ll be there in 10 minutes to pick it up!”

Me: “Unfortunately, I cannot. We can only hold items until we close for the night and we closed about, oh…” *looks at clock* “… 5 minutes ago, now. There is no way you would be able to pick it up tonight, even if you ordered it online. We can always order it to the store or even to the house if we don’t have any in when you stop by. Might I suggest ordering it onl—”

Customer: “Don’t you dare mention that Internet hocus pocus! My husband needs this ASAP, and I’ll be there in 10 minutes AND IT. BETTER. BE. THERE!”

Me: “Certainly, ma’am.”

Customer: *hangs up*

Coworker: “What was that about?”

Me: “Some angry lady who’s going to be more pissed off than usual in about 10-15 minutes.”

(I found out two days later that the angry lady did come to the store 10 minutes later and found the building closed. She came in the next afternoon, demanded the set, got upset when it was no longer available, proceeded to throw merchandise around the department looking for it, and had to be escorted out by security.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!