Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Putting The Parent Into Park For A Minute

, , , , , | Right | August 22, 2019

(I work at a large grocery store. It’s the middle of summer and hotter than normal for my area, and I’m outside fixing up a display of outdoor furniture that’s on sale. As I’m arranging things, a well-dressed woman comes up to me from the crowded parking lot, smiling. I smile back and am about to ask what I can do for her when she beats me to it.)

Customer: “Hi! My daughter is in the car and I just have to grab a few things real quick. Can you just keep an eye on her?”

(I’m too stunned by how ridiculous this is to respond for a moment, glance out at the sea of cars with literal heat waves rolling off of them and I can’t even tell which car has her daughter trapped in an oven. I’m so upset and in shock at how stupid this mother is I don’t even think as I respond.)

Me: “Ma’am, I’m working and have no time or desire to watch your child! And you can’t leave your child in your car!”

(Her bright, vapid smile vanished and she gave me a dirty look as she went back towards the parking lot.)


This story is part of the second Heatwave roundup!

Read the next second Heatwave roundup story!

Read the second Heatwave roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!