Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Purchase Disorder, Part 2

, , , | Right | February 7, 2022

I’m working in a call center and I have a new trainee shadowing me virtually. The trainee and I are on a video call, and the work calls come in over audio only. She is muted but can hear my audio and see my computer screens.

We get a call in from a frequent customer who, frankly, has a bad reputation. I buckle in mentally.

Me: “[Company], this is [My Name]; how can I help?”

Caller: “Hi, this is [Caller] from [Other Company]. I’m following up on my purchase order, [number].”

Me: *Pulling it up* “Yes, were you looking for tracking?”

Caller: “Yes, when did that deliver?”

I provide her with the delivery date, who signed for it, and the tracking number. Everything is going smoothly so far.

Caller: “And now, can you verify the shipping address on that for me?”

Me: “[Address], Building A, attention: [Person].”

Something about what I just said triggers something in the caller. Her voice takes on a decidedly more aggressive edge.

Caller: “Excuse me?”

I repeat the information, and in the meantime, I open the original purchase order that was submitted to us, which came over as a PDF document. It’s possible to edit, but difficult, and frankly, the way we enter orders does not modify the original document anyway.

Caller: “I need you to pull up the original purchase order and read to me, if you can, exactly what it says on there.”

My trainee is getting a wide-eyed, “What am I in for?” look on her face. I’m doing my best not to get annoyed. I hover my mouse over the spot on the PDF to show her that we entered the order precisely as it came to us, and I read out the same information.

Caller: “No. That’s not the way that it reads.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I have the document open right here, and that is what I have for the shipping address and ship to attention. I can send you a copy if you like.”

Caller: “No. You people are so stupid; you can’t even read. [Person]’s name is nowhere on this order. I am reading it right now.”

Me: “I am also reading it right now. Is it possible that an incorrect copy came to us?”

Caller: “No, we don’t make mistakes; you people make mistakes.”

Realizing it’s pointless to argue and doing my best attempt to keep a customer service face on, I pivot.

Me: “I can resend everything on this order to the correct attention name and building number. Can I get that information, please?”

The caller snootily provides the name and building number and inserts a few more shots at my intelligence before finally hanging up. I unmute my trainee, who looks like she’s regretting all the life decisions that led to this point.

Me: “So, that was [Caller]. She’s fun. Hopefully, you won’t get her your first week.”

I sent a follow-up note to my account people to look into if there was an issue with how we receive purchase orders from that company. It turns out there was — and it was on their end.

Related:
Purchase Disorder

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!