Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Pulled Glass Is Pulling At Your Heartstrings

, , , | Hopeless | August 5, 2017

(I work at a pretty well-known pet store that has a boarding facility within it, where I work front desk. Lately I have been having bad day after bad day, and totally unable to catch a break. I have been yelled at, cursed at, accused of being rude to someone I had only just met, and had my stapler thrown at me. On top of this I have been battling really intense anxiety and mounting depression, and I struggle with bipolar disorder. Overall, not a great concoction. Some of my regular customers make it worth it, though. My favorite is a woman and her best friend who bring their two dogs to us a couple times a week. They are both very understanding and have a great sense of humor, so I am comfortable joking around with them.)

Female Customer: “You look like you got hit by a truck today! Is everything all right?”

Me: “Oh, you know, just the usual irrationally angry customers that act like I supposedly torched their house with their whole extended family inside because I wouldn’t accept their four-month-expired coupon.”

Male Customer: “That bad, huh?”

Me: “Oh, yeah.” *notices Female Customer is wearing a gorgeous pulled glass necklace* “Oh, my god, I LOVE your necklace!”

Female Customer: “Oh, my, thank you!”

Me: “I used to have a necklace like that when I was younger. It was a little pulled glass turtle and I wore it every day but then it fell and broke at school and I was heartbroken. Oh well, things happen! Your total is [total] for the day. You guys take care!”

(A week or so later I see them come in to pick up their dogs so I get the till set for them. They walk up and I greet them as usual.)

Me: “Came back for the boys, I see! I guess you wanna keep them after all?”

Male Customer: “I mean, I guess we could take them back if you don’t want them.”

Me: “We’d be glad to keep them if you don’t want them! They can be our new mascots! Phone number, please?”

Female Customer: “[Phone Number]. By the way I want to give you this before I forget.” *reaches in her pocket and pulls out a beautiful blue pulled glass necklace* “This is for you. You seemed really stressed last week and I saw this online and I thought of you!”

Me: *in awe* “This is… for me? Really?”

Female Customer: “Yup! I think it matches your eyes well!”

Me: *holding back tears* “I… I don’t know what to say. Thank you so much. I love it so much. Thank you. I’ll be back with the dogs in a moment!”

(I rushed into the back and asked my coworker to get the dogs ready to go. Meanwhile I broke down in tears. The necklace meant so much to me and was a symbol to myself that no matter how many times I get yelled at and how many times I want to quit or give up on life, there are people out there that truly do care and are good people. I can never express my gratitude towards her with her simple act of kindness towards a struggling college kid. She doesn’t know about my anxiety, depression, or bipolar disorder and yet she still went out of her way to make me feel better. Makes me believe there are good people out there after all. Thank you.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!