Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Pronunciation Denunciation

, , , , | Working | May 4, 2018

(I am taking payment at the drive-thru window, while a coworker who is known for being extremely tactless is working near me, taking orders on the headset. I hear her finish up an order, and she suddenly starts laughing.)

Me: “What’s so funny?”

Coworker: “[My Name], it was so hilarious! This lady had no clue how to pronounce ‘sriracha’! She said it like, ‘sir-ra-CHEE’! How dumb can you get?”

Me: “Actually, I’ve heard a lot of people call it that. It’s spelled a little weird, so I think most people just give it their best guess.”

Coworker: “Geez, people should get smart.”

(I suddenly notice that the “on” light on her headset is still blinking.)

Me: “Uh, [Coworker], your headset is still on.”

Coworker: *cheerfully* “Oh, oops!”

(The woman in question pulls up to the window, looking very embarrassed.)

Customer: “I’m really sorry. I know I’m pronouncing that sauce name wrong; I just always forget how to say it.”

Me: “Oh, no, you have nothing to apologize for. I’m so sorry; she had no right to say anything about you.”

(I gave her her meal for free, along with a couple coupons. I complained to my manager about the rude coworker, and apparently he’s had many similar comments about her and she’s been written up more than once, but he can’t give her much more than a slap on the wrist since we’re shorthanded and she’s available a massive number of hours.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!