Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Pot-Shot Calling The Coworker Slack

| Working | October 9, 2012

(I’ve recently decided to re-start the social club of my department, which means having to organize the Christmas party and the activities to finance it such as lotteries. After two weeks I resign, as it is too time-consuming and not compatible with my call center job. I send a mass e-mail saying that I have resigned because I want to concentrate on my work.)

Coworker: “You’re quitting! Why? How will we have Christmas now?”

Me: “Because I found that this function was not compatible with my position as a call-center agent. We are tethered to our phones, so we don’t have the mobility it requires to do party-planning and fund-raising during work hours. And as a new hire, I think I need to focus on my work.”

Coworker: “But it’s not right to quit! You took over the responsibilities, and one should always finish what they started. Who will plan our Christmas party?”

Me: “The position is available. If you want to take over you are welcome to do so. Just see our manager.”

Coworker: “Oh, no! I don’t have the time! I am chained to my phone, and learning a new job is so demanding!”


This story is part of the Christmas In The Workplace roundup!

Read the next Christmas In The Workplace roundup story!

Read the Christmas In The Workplace roundup!


This story is featured in our “I Quit!” roundup!

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to go back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!