Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Popcorn Forlorn, Part 3

, , , , , | Right | November 13, 2020

I’m a shift lead at a national chain movie theater and we’re working a busy Friday night. A certain underage wizard is having yet another blockbuster weekend and we’re short-staffed thanks to callouts.

I’m running between the box office and concessions, working a register at both depending on need. I’m the only one on the floor with a key to get into the candy closet. I’m doing my best to keep it upbeat but my patience is growing thin.

Despite that, I greet my customer with an overly cheerful smile.

Me: “Welcome to [Theater Chain]! Would you like to try a combo?”

Customer: “Small popcorn with nacho cheese on it.”

Me: “Cheese on the popcorn?”

Customer: “Yeah, nacho cheese on the popcorn.”

I’ve been working at this theater for a few years. We’ve tried everything on everything when we’re bored. (Butter snocone anyone?) And hot nacho cheese on top of popcorn just turns into a gross mess of cheese and popcorn kernels. It’s gross after the first two pieces.

Me: “Can I suggest the cheese in a cup? The popcorn and the bag don’t hold up to the hot cheese very well. It’s much easier to eat the popcorn if you dip it.”

Customer: “I said nacho cheese on the popcorn.”

I get everything else together and make another attempt at convincing her to get the cup of cheese.

Me: “If you get the cup it’s actually a little tray and it helps hold everything. Otherwise, it’s a mess.”

Customer: “I just want the d*** cheese on my popcorn.”

I do as she asks and send her on her way to her movie. Twenty minutes later, we still have a line and she storms past everyone to the front. She slams the bag down and I can hear it squish, as I knew it would.

Customer: “I can’t eat this f****** mess. Give me another popcorn and cheese in a cup!”

I smile my saccharine-sweet customer-service smile.

Me: “I’m sorry, but free refills are only available on large popcorn buckets. And the cheese is an additional charge, as well.”

Customer: “Give me my money back, then!”

Me: “We don’t give refunds on food items unless the mistake was ours. I tried to tell you what would happen. And you were given the product you demanded.”

Customer: “Where’s the manager?!

Me: “Running the production booth; we had several callouts. If you’d like, I can give you his card.”

Customer: “Stupid b****!”

She threw the nasty bag of cheesy popcorn at me. I had her removed from the theater.

My car smelled like nachos for months.

Related:
Popcorn Forlorn, Part 2
Popcorn Forlorn


This story is part of our Best Of November 2020 roundup!

Read the next story in the Best Of November 2020 roundup!

Read the Best Of November 2020 roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!