Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Pop Goes Their Job Prospects

, , , | Working | January 15, 2018

(I work in a school canteen. We have a new starter with us today. I induct them and set them to work. After a few minutes I hear the tell tail signs of chewing with your mouth open. I turn around and see him chewing gum.)

Me: “[New Starter], you aren’t allowed to chew gum on the job. As I said, not ten minutes ago, it’s unhygienic.”

New Starter: *stroppy* “Well, sorry!”

(I assume that’s the end of it and head out to the front to prepare the tables. I see our manager, who is rather stern and strict at the best of times, head into the kitchen. One of the shutters goes up almost immediately and she yells for me. I walk over.)

Me: “What’s wrong?”

Manager: *near shouting and turning red* “Is it true you told [New Starter] that he could chew gum?”

Me: “I most certainly did not! I told him specifically not to.”

(He shakes his head and the manager scrunches her eyes at the both of us. She’s about to speak when [Coworker] behind us speaks up.)

Coworker: “She’s right. I was there when she told him during his induction, and again when she caught him chewing.”

(We all looked at the new starter while he was in the process of blowing the largest bubble I had ever seen. It popped, and I could see bits of gum and saliva fly all over the counter. Our manager even wiped some of it from her lip. Not a good way to start your first day.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!