Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Pop Culture Is Alien To Her

| Friendly | July 21, 2014

(My friend and I are driving to have coffee/tea at the local pub one evening when I am asked how my previous Friday night was. I went and saw the ‘Rocky Horror Show’ at the Comedy Theatre, and am trying to explain to my friend, who does not like pop-culture at all, what it is about.)

Me: “So, it’s a kind of sci-fi/horror parody, rock ‘n’ roll musical where a recently engaged couple stumble upon a castle inhabited by a group of pansexual, transvestite, scientist aliens who are trying to assimilate in to 1950s America.”

Friend: “Yeahhhhhh, that sounds like absolute crap. Aliens? Human aliens? Science-fiction? Rock ‘n’ roll? Who writes this stuff?”

Me: “Oh come on! Rocky Horror? It’s a cult classic! You’ve never heard of it? It’s amazing! Anyway, ‘human’ aliens are not uncommon in popular culture. You know how your boyfriend likes Superman? Well, Superman is an alien. You keep buying yourself Superman singlets so I don’t know how you’re not aware of this?!”

Friend: “Superman is not an alien!”

Me: *stares at my friend dumbfounded* “How do you think he has powers? He is from the planet Krypton, and saves people when he isn’t masquerading as Clark Kent.”

Friend: “Who is Clark Kent?”

Me: “Oh, my gosh.” *shakes head*

(We go in to the pub and order coffee and tea, and as the waiter comes to deliver my tea pot, I absentmindedly continue the conversation.)

Me: “I still don’t understand how you don’t know that Superman is an alien.”

Waiter: *giggles*

Friend: “Oh, come on, this can’t be a well-known thing?!” *turns to the waiter for help*

Waiter: “You are so asking the wrong person. I know everything about Superman.”

Me: “Yes!”

(I high-fived the waiter and we laughed at my friend as he went off to get her coffee, and came back still laughing. My friend and I still go for coffee/tea every Thursday and the waiter still laughs at her.)


This story is part of the Aliens roundup!

Read the next Aliens roundup story!

Read the Aliens roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!