Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Plus-Sized Bad Attitude

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: Blueartbird | March 15, 2022

I work at a Danish plus-size clothing store with “XL” in the name. As the name proclaims, this store is only for XL people — sizes XL to 5XL). I am a 2XL, so I consider myself fat.

This thin old lady comes in and complains that she can’t fit in the clothes, and I explain the brand.

Me: “I’m sorry, but you’ll have to look somewhere else. Have a nice day.”

She goes away for a minute and then comes back.

Lady: “You are probably going to be mad when I say this…”

I think, “Then don’t say it.”

Lady: “…but I don’t understand how people can let themselves get so big.”

Me: “Well, there are many reasons why someone may be fat, and most people hate it. It’s often because of mental health, because of money issues, or because they sit down too much at their job.”

Lady: “I have always been small, and even when I was a child, people always commented on how small I was. And I’m very vain, so I like to take care of my look. Don’t you want to do that?”

Did she just call me ugly and brag at the same time?

Me: “Fat people can be beautiful, too.”

Lady: “In the war, there were no fat people. We didn’t need plus-size stores back then. But in Germany, fat people cost society so much today!”

I internally facepalm.

Me: “Is there anything I can help you with?”

Lady: “No, no. Thank you. I just wanted to talk.”

She walked away, oblivious to my anger.

You can have your own opinion, but don’t come into a clothing store that specializes in making large women look beautiful and feel confident to fat-shame the employee.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!