Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Please Don’t Single Me Out

, , , | Right | July 3, 2012

(I’m a Caucasian male with very curly hair in my early 20s on a register. A Native American female in her mid to late 40’s comes up behind me.)

Customer: “Oh, I love curly hair!”

(She runs her fingers through my hair with a huge smile on her face.)

Me: *feeling uncomfortable* “Uh…”

Customer: “When do you get off?”

Me: “Um, well I—”

Customer: “I just love curly hair. It’s so cute! I just love it. My ex-boyfriend only had straight hair, but yours is so much better.”

Me: “Ma’am, I really don’t think this is appro—”

Customer: “Are you single?”

(I press a code on my register for manager assistance.)

Me: “I’m flattered and all, but I’m sorry, I’m just not that interested. Sorry. I hope you have a wonderful evening, though.”

(Her smile changes to a scowl and she starts poking me in the shoulder angrily.)

Customer: *pokes me repeatedly* “What!? Why not!? Is it because of my skin color!? What do you have against native chicks, huh!?”

Me: “Not at all, ma’am, really! My first girlfriend was a native woman. I don’t understand why you’re doing this, and I don’t appreciate being treated this way.”

Customer: “Oh, that’s bulls***! You are all alike! You’re just a white, racist, piece of s***! I’m going to get you fired, a**hole! You’ve insulted me and you took my joy away!”

Me: “Ma’am, I’ve called for a manager.”

(She continues this profanity-laden tirade while the manager walks up.)

Manager: “What’s the problem, ma’am?”

Customer: “Your cashier insulted me!”

Manager: “Alright, ma’am, what did he say to you?”

(I’m a bit nervous, to be honest. I’ve never received a customer complaint before.)

Customer: “He won’t go out with me! You’re the manager! Tell him to go out with me, or he’s fired! Can’t you understand?!”

Manager: “If you come in here and hit on our employees or customers one more time, you will be banned from the store. Get out, now, or I will call the police!”

Customer: *glares at me as she storms off*

Manager: *to me, jokingly* “So, how do you like your new girlfriend?”

(Apparently, this woman had come in several times and would aggressively flirt with white male customers and employees. So much so, that the manager staff were notified to be on the lookout for her!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!