Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Playing The Bad Customer Game

| Right | April 30, 2015

(An older man comes in to buy some games for his grandson. He picks out three games, buys them, and leaves. The next day, when I’m working, an older woman comes into the store.)

Female Customer: “I’m looking to buy some games for my grandson. My husband came here yesterday and bought him some, so I don’t want to get the same ones.”

Me: That’s understandable. Which games did he buy?”

Female Customer: *gives me a look like I just spoke to her in another language* “How do I know?! Look it up on your computer!”

(We have a computer system that is able to go through past transactions, so I tell her I can look it up, but since I wasn’t there the day before, I had no idea what to even look for.)

Me: “I just need to know what system the games were for, and what time approximately he came in.”

Female Customer: “How am I supposed to know any of that?! That is YOUR job!”

Me: “Well, I wasn’t here yesterday, so I have no idea what to even look for. Maybe you can call him and ask him if he can tell you which games he bought, or at least the system and what time he came in to buy them?”

Female Customer: *making sighs of annoyance and looking super frustrated* “Fine, hang on.”

(She proceeds to call her husband, and he tells her the system he bought them for and around what time he bought them. I start going through the system and find a transaction that matches that, so I help her find a few games for the system that are different from the ones her husband bought, but with the same kind of theme. She buys the games and leaves. A few hours later she comes back with the games and her receipt.)

Female Customer: “I want to return these.”

Me: “Okay, that’s fine. But can I ask why you’re returning them?”

Female Customer: “I found a better deal on them at [Big Box Store]. They were all $44.89 as opposed to your $44.99. You guys have the worst prices.”

(I return the games for her and she leaves.)

Coworker: “Did she actually come all the way back here to save 10 cents a game…?”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!