Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Playing Games With Your Feelings

| Right | January 22, 2013

(I have only been working at the store for a few weeks. I also happen to be a slightly anxious person. Phone calls tend to stress me out, as I can’t really interpret tones of voice. A customer calls, and I answer.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [name of store]. How can I help you today?”

Caller: “Yeah, hi, are you releasing [popular upcoming game] early?”

Me: *confused* “Um, we’re having a midnight release of that game, yes.”

Caller: “No, no. I mean, you know how you guys get new games before the release date? Can you give it to me before the release date if I give you extra money?”

Me: “Uh, no, sir, I can’t do something like that. That would be illegal.”

Caller: “I don’t like your tone.”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Caller: “There’s no reason for you to talk to me like a dumb f***.”

Me: “I’m, I’m really sorry if I’ve offended yo—”

Caller: “Is there someone else I can talk to?”

Me: “Um, yes, sir. Let me get my coworker.”

(I pass the phone to my coworker, who, though she is the senior employee, is younger than me, and generally very sweet and charming. I have never really seen her angry. She speaks to the customer for a few minutes, and then she puts the phone down.)

Me: “Is everything okay?”

Coworker: “What a jerk! He demanded to speak to the manager, and when I told him that the manager wasn’t in today, he said to tell you that you were a dumb c*** and a stupid b****!”

Me: “Oh. Am I going to be in trouble?”

Coworker: *smiles brightly* “Oh, honey, no! You did great! My only regret is that he hung up before I could tell him to f*** off!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!